Monday, January 17, 2011

Brrrr said the pipes.

Well, when I arrived, the worst possible thing happened....the cold water didn't turn on.  It has been so cold up here and we were concerned that the pipes would freeze, so we turned the well pump and water off, but when I turned them back on, it still didn't work...

Typically Justin would handle this type of thing, but this created a great opportunity to learn a little about pipes and plumbing.

After about an hour and a number of interventions: warming up the pipes, inspecting the entire web of pipes in the basement, checking for leaks, etc.. a chunk of ice must have dislodged, and the water started flowing.  Woo hoo!  Broken pipe averted... but, clearly, we needed a better solution.

I do recognize that this is no major plumbing feat, but for someone who has never really owned a house, even the little lessons are important.  Baby steps.


fromHeidi
toJustin
dateMon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM
subjectinsulation
mailed-bygmail.com
hide details 9:35 AM (24 minutes ago)

Hi honey,

Well, when I took everything out from under the kitchen cupboard, the problem became more clear.  It's colder than an ice box in there!  The back wall has a direct draft that probably even freezes the soap that's stored in the back!!  I was going to put something in there to block the draft, like a towel.  I put the insulation on the pipes already but I'd be surprised if that wasn't where the problem was (with the draft). The crawl space felt just fine when I arrived so I don't think the cold is coming from there.

Do you have another idea for insulating back there under the sink?  Clearly, that fluffy itchy insulation isn't really used under the sink, but it needs something! I'll start with the towel for now.  Our little heater probably did no good since we aimed it at the wrong cupboard!

I can't staple insulation there can I?  Maybe I do need to get the pipe warmer at home depot today...

Love you,

Me

fromHeidi
toJustin
dateMon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM
subjectfollow up
mailed-bygmail.com
hide details 9:54 AM (7 minutes ago)

ok, well, here's what I did...

I put a towel up against the back to fill the holes.  The draft is beyond the crawl space (further back) so I couldn't do anything from down there.

I put the towel back there, then put up a panel to trap the cold air behind the pipe.  It's not pretty, but I could already feel a difference in the pipes.

Here's a pic.  The paneling doesn't LOOK great, but it will work until we find a long term solution (i.e. a remodeled kitchen!).

Love you!

Me
IMG_0629.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment